Wednesday 11 December 2013

WEEK 10: Time to Say Goodbye

After 18 years spent teaching, I became a student again for 10 weeks. These weeks were hectic, so very demanding but imagine the feeling of satisfaction that one feels after completing a laborious task. I feel it. I feel that the course has helped me in my professional development not only as a simple teacher but as a teacher of the 21st century.                      

Yes, I  really can redefine my teaching methods, shift gradually from the traditional method of teaching to  more learner centered one. Together with my fellow online learners, we have discovered an unimaginable world of possibilities; a new world that promotes learner autonomy, that eases the teacher's life and that encourages the learner to develop an interest in language learning.

Far too many people relegate language learning and teaching to the second position. What's the use? There are more important subjects to learn: the Sciences, Maths and many others. This same line of thought is passed on to the learners. Consequently, as language teachers, we have to finally do our best to keep our class 'alive', fight boredom, passivity, dropouts and many other problems associated with language classes. An unresponsive class has an effect on the teacher too. What now with Web Quests, PPTs, online exercises, blogs, padlets, online forums? We have many tools at our disposal to revolutionize language teaching. And what would be the use of all these if we do not know our learners? Getting to work on a plan to know what type of learners we have, finding the appropriate tools to work with in class is a good start I think. When we are making use of the different tools available, we are bringing ourselves down to the world of our learners. If we remain high up on the ladder due to the position that we occupy in class, it will be very difficult to reach our learners and finally, teaching will not serve its purpose at all. 

I believe in my students. I believe that I can reach them through technology- they are all so very comfortable with all the devices. If I try to pull them up to my level, I will not achieve anything- no learning will finally take place at the end of the day. They will probably end up attending the class just because they are forced to do it, be passive in class and will  certainly develop a strong dislike for the subject. Up to me now to bring the change, get the support of my willing colleagues...

Of course it is now time to say good bye to all of you my online friends. We have been in the same boat for 10 fruitful weeks. We are all so very far away, yet we share the same interests, the same concerns for our learners. I wish all of you best of luck in your teaching career and thank you for all your enlightened thoughts on the forum. Thank you Courtney. I did it with your help, your positive advice (which reminds me that I must always praise my learners- they will be more productive). 

I hope I am not being too stereotyped here but I also wish to thank my colleagues from the English Department who have always inquired about my progress during the course. A 10-week course for some but an achievement for me. As Seneca says: "Life is a play: it's not the length, but the excellence of the acting that matters." The acting is also made possible by those who work backstage. My backstage favorite: my sweet family. Your collaboration while I was working on the task made it all possible: omnipresent mum and dad to relieve me of some tasks. My three children who manipulate the computer like all kids of the 21st century: daughter Neha , my 13-year old source of inspiration, Keshav my 10 year old son, my strength at all times and my little cutie pie, soon to be 4 years old son, Aarav, who always wanted to have a look when I was completing the tasks. And I did not forget you dear husband... my support. You have a very busy time table, yet you are always here for me.You are the first language teacher whom I am going to share my new skills with... 

And Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all of you!     

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    Really we became a student for ten weeks and same time became the teacher of 21st century . This course has been able to shape our ways to teach with technology that is new for us and our students.The course gave me a refreshment training to be update about modern technology. Undoubtedly we can use our skills in our class and achieve our goals.

    Even the course completed, I hope, we will be collaborating and sharing our experiences to remember this occasion in the future.
    Best
    Tika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I like it when you said " I feel that the course has helped me in my professional development not only as a simple teacher but as a teacher of the 21st century."

    After reading your post, I felt something deeply in my heart. I don't know how to express that feeling.

    Technology and taking this course have shaped all of us into a new person with fresh outlooks to go on with our profession.

    Like you said, if we can give positive feedback like we got in Blackboard to our students, I am sure it will definitely help them and motivate them.

    Let's keep in touch in anyway we can.

    Best,
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! These two and a half months were truly awe-inspiring, and intriguing! I really loved your blog and the way you expressed yourself. I believe that integrating technology in school would be nice, but everything has an advantage and a disadvantage. This is life... Also, these weeks were really thrilling, enthralling. Every day, I based on your messages and brightened up and started my day, with a purpose. Mesmerisingly, I even dreamed of my dream coming true... It was extremely wonderful and pleasing. Can you imagine, Jennifer, if all students cooperated in elation, passion and desire. Boredom is dead for ever.We are the heroes and saviours. However, this is only a dream, with hard work, determination and dedication, we will do it, we will achieve our goal! Always keep in mind: "Be the change you want to see in the world." Bye, and I wish you and all our readers every success in your careers!

    ReplyDelete